- City Secretary
The City Secretary's office records, certifies, preserves, manages and makes accessible sufficient information to ensure continuity in government and the documented accountability of City of Decatur policies, functions, and transactions in order to protect both the legal and financial rights of the citizens of the city.
The City Secretary's office also provides information to the public and helps the public locate government information maintained by and for the city in accordance with requirements established by law. The office also:
- Accepts petitions filed by citizens
- Governs the city corporate seal and attest authorized city official's signature on documents
- Coordinates and schedules official City Council meetings and is responsible for the recording and transcriptions for permanent record
- Prepare and assemble City Council and Water District agenda packets
- Maintains Board and Commissions membership information
- Maintains custody, filing and storage of all legislation, minutes and other written and recorded documents pertaining to the operation of our city government
- Oversees, guides and tracks the legislative process
- Provides administrative assistance to the Mayor and members of council; processes requests for the Mayor's appearances, proclamations, certificates of appreciation, letters of greetings, etc.
- Managing and updating the Decatur Code of Ordinances
- Serves as Election Administrator for City elections
- Serves as Records Management Officer for the City (see request procedure below)
Texas Public Information Act
The Texas Public Information Act (Texas Open Records Act), Chapter 552, Texas Government Code (available in its entirety on the Texas Attorney General website ) establishes requirements for governmental bodies to respond to written requests for access and/or reproductions of public information. To submit your request by mail, fax or email, complete the Open Records Request Form.