Sensory Storytime: Tuesdays in June & July at 11:30 am
This early literacy class combines a short structured storytime with interactive play, music, and movement. For children of all ages and abilities.
Little Learners Storytime: On Break A great educational program where children, ages 3-5, can enjoy songs, rhymes, movement, and short stories. Parents and caregivers are encouraged to participate and enjoy, too!
What is Little Learners Storytime?
Little Learners Storytime focuses on age appropriate behaviors and skills and aligns learning with the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS). Parents and caregivers will also learn tips that can be used in working with children at home.
Why should I bring my three to five year old?
Attendance at and participation in story time has many benefits both for children and parents. Children who attend literacy programs are better prepared to start kindergarten ready to read. They gain pre-reading and pre-writing skills that are valuable in readying the child to read such as knowing letter names, developing oral language skills, how to hold a book and learning to read and write from left to right. Children experience social learning in a group setting. They are able to observe how other children act, i.e. sitting and listening, interacting with an adult other than their parent and more.
Children will sing and listen to books just like always, but they will also be exposed to further educational knowledge and age appropriate developmental opportunities. In Little Learners Storytime, we plan to learn about colors, numbers, letters, pre-writing skills, science, social studies (through holidays, feelings, behavior expectations) and more!
Check out Medline Plus: Parenting for some great health information! Click on the image to be redirected to the Medline plus: Parenting website.
Check out World Book Online by clicking on the image!
Your library card will grant you access to the following digital products:
World Book Student
World Book Differentiated Package
Early World of Learning Enciclopedia Estudiantil Hallazgos
World Book Mobile
World Book eBooks
World Book Timelines
World Book Kids
World Book Advanced
World Book Discover
Check out these sites for children's downloadable audiobooks!
2. Kids Learn Out Loud: This free collection, has much to choose from, not just books but speeches, presidential addresses, podcasts, and more are included on this packed, resource-rich site.
3. StoryNory: This site offers free audio downloads of classic fairy tales, world fairy tales, fables, 1001 Nights, and more.
4. Lit2Go: This site is not only packed with hundreds of free audiobooks, but many of the books and poems have free PDFs to download and print so that children can read along, highlight, and mark up the passage being read.
5. Project Gutenberg: There are more than 50,000 free ebooks, but not all of them are audiobooks. The books are shared freely here because their copyrights have expired.
6. OpenLibrary: OpenLibrary is just that — an open library. It's a public site with the goal of hosting one web page for every book published. Each of their free eBooks has an audio component, with computer audio recordings.
7. International Children’s Digital Library: "A library for the world's children," this site contains thousands of books in more than 60 languages. So cool. Though there aren't many hard copies I could link to, perhaps some families have the books at home or would just like hearing books read in a foreign language.
1000 Books Before Kindergarten!
1000 Books Before Kindergarten Reading Log
Click on the image to download a PDF copy that you can fill out at home and then email to Miss Dawn at email@example.com. If you wish for your child to be acknowledged for their reading achievement on our Facebook page, please include a snapshot in your email.
These awesome readers have reached 1000 Books in our 1000 Books Before Kindergarten Reading Program!
Your child will love Capstone Interactive this summer!
The Decatur Public Library is happy to be able to provide resources for the Wise County homeschool community! We have several in-house resources as well as online resources to help families with their homeschool journey.